Christ processing into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday
The village of Normanby-le-Wold has a population of about 60 and within the parish boundary has the highest point of Lincolnshire at 168m. It is in the Lincolnshire Wolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is a farming community, mainly arable but with some livestock.
St Peter’s Church is used for worship regularly and welcomes parishioners, worshipers from other churches in the Walesby Group and visitors alike. Special services such as Harvest Festival tend to draw visitors from the wider area.
St Peters is available for use by the whole community and many have celebrated their marriages and baptisms here as well as funerals and burials within the churchyard which is still open for use. The Viking Way long distance footpath passes the church and, as our visitors book records, many walkers take time to savour this quiet rural location and to visit the church to experience its peace. Many find it to be a very spiritual place.
The small community of Normanby le Wold is proud of its church and works hard to keep it in a good state of repair. There is a strong emphasis on Arts & Crafts in the village and the building is used for community events such as the West Lindsey Churches Festival and exhibitions.
St. Peter's Church, Normanby le Wold is situated to the south of the village. From the churchyard Walesby “Old” Church is clearly visible and there are commanding views toward Lincoln Cathedral more than 20 miles away and to the West the Trent Valley. The Viking Way long distance footpath passes down the bridleway adjacent to the church.
There is parking in the road outside the church and access is by a gravel drive with a ramp into the church. Regrettably toilet facilities are not available.
There has been a worshipping community on this site for many centuries and the Doomsday Book mentions a church at Normanby although today there is no trace of what was, presumably, an Anglo-Saxon building. The present building was probably built in the 13th Century and the earliest parish registers, now held in the Lincoln County Archives, date back to 1561. By 1867 the building was described as "dilapidated" and the parish appointed Louth architect John Fowler to restore the church. During the following year he built an entirely new chancel, rebuilt the medieval south aisle, restored the tower, raised the roof of the nave, and added new windows, floors and pews all at a cost of £1000!
How to find us
Normanby-le-Wold, St Peter, LN7 6ST