A wedding at St Andrew's
The village of Stainton-le-Vale has a population of around 50.It is situated in the valley of the Stainton Beck and is a mixed community of working and retired people.
St Andrew's Church is used regularly: there are two services each month and Harvest Festival and the Christmas Day Carol Service are particularly popular. The church is popular, too, with walkers and others who, according to our visitors' book, appreciate both its peaceful setting and the fact that it is always open during daylight hours.
The church is in a sheltered position at the eastern end of the village on the road to Binbrook and opposite the bridleway to Thoresway.
Stainton-le-Vale (also for a while in mediaeval times known as Stainton-le-Hole) is steeped in history. There is evidence of Roman habitation over towards Kirmond-le-Mire. It was an Anglo-Saxon settlement and is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. It has some of the most extensive mediaeval earthworks in the country, which can be readily identified in many of the surrounding fields.
The present church was begun shortly after the Norman Conquest, the oldest feature being the north door which is a simple Norman arch, now protected by the vestry, dated probably c.1100.
The western porch and tower date from c.1300. At this time the church was much larger than it is now. There was a south aisle of four bays with piers, and it extended further east, which can best be appreciated from the outside.
In 1533 there were two great bells and one santus bell. One of these was transferred to the Stainton Hall of the day, and the other to Ranby Hall. The single bell remaining in the tower is dated 1623.
The church fell into decay in the 17th and 18th centuries. However, by 1846 it had been restored and was described as being “in good order”. There was further restoration in 1886 when the current floor, pews and pulpit were installed.
There was a major re-novation in 1913 when the flat plastered ceiling was removed and replaced with the current open timbered roof. The wood framed windows with mullions and lead lights were replaced with stone and new lead lights. The east wall was re-built to include a large window and thus allow a lot more natural light into the church. The vestry was added (with a cellar and coal fuelled heating beneath) to replace a screened off vestry in the south east corner of the sanctuary.
We hope you will enjoy a visit to the church and take a little time to soak up the peace and tranquillity it affords.
How to find us
Stainton-le-Vale, St Andrew, LN8 6HP