The churches of the Walesby Group of Parishes are blessed with a number of Church Towers with fully functional and frequently rung peals of bells. The bells are rung on special occasions such as weddings and funeral services, but also to call people to worship for regular Sunday services. Additionally they are also rung for practise and at other time because it’s just great to hear them ring out across the Villages and Wolds in this part of Lincolnshire.
The origins of ‘Change Ringing’ lie in the 16th century when English church bells began to be hung with a full wheel. This gave ringers full control of their bell, which allowed sets of bells (rings) to be rung in a continuously changing pattern.
‘Music’ is created by moving bells up and down the ringing order to a defined sequence of changes known as a method.
Bell ringing is a team effort that helps keep you fit – it also makes a glorious sound.
Bell ringers come from all walks of life and range from 10 – 80+ years.
A small group of ringers are active at All Saints Church – Tealby, St Mary’s Church - Claxby, and All Saints Church (The Old or Ramblers Church) - Walesby. Additionally they also ring outside this group in the towers at Market Rasen and Middle Rasen.
If you wish to know more about Bell Ringing or would like to learn to be a Bell Ringer (or Campanologist! - that’s the proper name for it) then please contact in the first instance Colin Disney, our Tower Captain at Tealby.
Each tower has a Tower captain appointed who is responsible for the bells and activities within the tower they are appointed too. They have also undergone safeguarding training and have current DBS certification for the activity. Walesby Group Tower Captains are:
Tealby (6 Bells) : Colin Disney (Main Contact - 07785774078)
Claxby (6 Bells) : Phil Raven
Walesby - Old Church (8 Bells) : Charles Cade
For more information on bell ringing click here.
The 6 Bells of All Saints, Tealby are regarded by bell ringers as ‘ A Very Good Ring’. The bells are easy to handle and have a very pleasant tone.
From 1704 until 2001 there were only 4 bells in the tower. Two of these bells dating back to the mid 15th century. In 1919 the 4 bells were rehung in a ‘modern’ steel frame capable of holding 6 bells. The cost of this was £600 and the money was entirely raised by local effort. J Taylor and Sons, Bell Foundry in Loughborough carried out the work. Taylors are still in existence and their museum is well worth a visit.
In 2001 the 4 bells were augmented to 6 (making good use of the 6 bell frame from 1919). The 2 additional bells were purchased from the Keltec Trust (which tries to ensure redundant bells are reused and not melted down for scrap). Most of the Money as raised by the local bell ringers, villagers and the Manifold trust. The Lincolnshire Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers and its Northern Branch also donated generously. The work was carried out by Robert Parker, Bell Hanger of Taunton in November 2001.
|Treble||5-0-0||Recast by Gillet and Johnston, Croydon 1928. Previously at St Joseph, Burwash.|
|Second||5-2-3||Mears and Stainbank, London 1874.
Previously the Treble at St Andrews Plymouth.
|Third||6-1-21||R.C. Nottingham. Mid 15th Century|
|Fourth||7-1-10||‘Brede’ London. Circa 1480.|
|Fifth||8-0-11||William Oldfield, Nottingham. 1596.|
|Tenor||11-6-24||William Noone, Nottingham. 1704|
The Weights of the bells are traditionally shown in: Hundredweights (cwt), Quarters (Qtrs) and Pounds (lbs) (So for example 5-2-3 means 5cwt, 2qtrs and 3lbs)