Christmas at St Mary, Claxby
The building is largely medieval with extensive alterations by Fowler in 1870 including the re-building of the tower. It is Grade 1 listed and has a welcoming atmosphere. The tower has a ring of five bells and several local bell-ringers are helped by others from the area.
Christmas and Easter services are shared with Normanby le Wold. Other than the usual festivals there is an annual outdoor memorial service in Griff Wood which attracts up to 100 people. Griff Wood is a young wood where trees are planted in memory of people from the village who have died.
The church takes part in the annual West Lindsey Open Churches Festival and benefits from a bi-annual Open Gardens and occasional concerts in the church.
The village has about 160 inhabitants. There are several farms within the parish but they employ very few people. Most people work outside the village. The church is used twice a month. Once for the Book of Common Prayer communion. The second currently for a prayer and reflection when we discuss aspects of christianity
The church is also used from time to time for concerts, lectures and other village events.
The church is down a cul de sac with only the Old Rectory and Claxby House for company. The original village street passed close to the church but was diverted at some stage so that the residents of the two big houses could be undisturbed!
The village is mentioned in Domesday Book but the present grade 1 church dates from the 13th century It was altered by John Fowler in the 1870s. He rebuilt the tower, added a south aisle and porch but retained the chancel. There is some good stained glass and a recently restored small organ built in Lincoln in the 1860s. There is a peal of 5 bells, two are medieval, one cast by Harrison, the firm of chronometer fame, and two added in 1877. More information can be found in 'Churches of the Western Wolds'and The History of Claxby over Two Centuries. The latter can be found on the Claxby Village website.
How to find us
Claxby, St Mary, LN8 3YX